The ESXi Cloud type enables managing and provisioning to ESXi hosts, even without the ESXi API enabled.
The VMware ESXi integration is for adding a single ESXi / vSphere Hypervisor host. If you have vCenter please use the VMWare vCenter cloud type for full vSphere integraiton features.
To get started with VMware ESXi, simply add a VMware ESXi Cloud in either the
Infrastructure -> Clouds or Infrastructure -> Groups section.
+ Create CloudButton
- Select ESXi from the Add Cloud modal
- Select NEXT
- Provide the following information.
- Cloud Name
- ESXi Host name or IP address
- Username ( This is normally root )
If you receive the message “Error! Invalid cloud config” Please ensure you have ssh enabled on the ESXi host.
- Specify a default domain for instances provisioned to this Cloud.
- SCALE PRIORITY
- Specifies the priority with which an instance will scale into the cloud. A lower priority number means this cloud integration will take scale precedence over other cloud integrations in the group.
- APPLIANCE URL
- Alternate Appliance url for scenarios when the default Appliance URL (configured in admin -> settings) is not reachable or resolvable for Instances provisioned in this cloud. The Appliance URL is used for Agent install and reporting.
- TIME ZONE
- Configures the time zone on provisioned VM’s if necessary.
- DATACENTER ID
- Used for differentiating pricing among multiple datacenters. Leave blank unless prices are properly configured.
- NETWORK MODE
- Unmanaged or Managed
- SECURITY MODE
- Defines if Morpheus will control local firewall of provisioned servers and hosts.
- STORAGE MODE
- Single Disk, LVM or Clustered
- Enable Guidance recommendations on cloud resources.
- DNS INTEGRATION
- Records for instances provisioned in this cloud will be added to selected DNS integration.
- SERVICE REGISTRY
- Services for instances provisioned in this cloud will be added to selected Service Registry integration.
- CONFIG MANAGEMENT
- Select a Chef, Salt, Ansible or Puppet integration to be used with this Cloud.
- Select CMDB Integraiton to automatically update selected CMDB.
- AGENT INSTALL MODE
- SSH / WINRM: Morpheus will use SSH or WINRM for Agent install.
- Cloud-Init (when available): Morpheus will utilize Cloud-Init or Cloudbase-Init for agent install when provisioning images with Cloud-Init/Cloudbase-Init installed. Morpheus will fall back on SSH or WINRM if cloud-init is not installed on the provisioned image.
- API PROXY
- Required when a Proxy Server blocks communication between the Morpheus Appliance and the Cloud. Proxies can be added in the Infrastructure -> Networks -> Proxies tab.
- Required when a Proxy Server blocks communication between an Instance and the Morpheus Appliance. Proxies can be added in the Infrastructure -> Networks -> Proxies tab.
- Bypass Proxy for Appliance URL
- Enable to bypass proxy settings (if added) for Instance Agent communication to the Appliance URL.
- USER DATA (LINUX)
- Add cloud-init user data or scripts. Assumes bash syntax.
ESXi provisioning require a vmx file, which is not included in an OVF/OVA export from vCenter. A proper vmx file must be included when adding a vmdk/ovf/ova image to Virtual Images in Morpheus for successful provisioning.