The ESXi Cloud type enables managing and provisioning to ESXi hosts, even without the ESXi API enabled.
The VMware ESXi integration is for adding a single ESXi / vSphere Hypervisor host. If you have vCenter please use the VMWare vCenter cloud type for full vSphere integraiton features.
To get started with VMware ESXi, simply add a VMware ESXi Cloud in either the
Infrastructure -> Clouds or Infrastructure -> Groups section.
+ Create CloudButton
- Select ESXi from the Add Cloud modal
- Select NEXT
- Provide the following information.
- Cloud Name
- ESXi Host name or IP address
- Username ( This is normally root )
If you receive the message “Error! Invalid cloud config” Please ensure you have ssh enabled on the ESXi host.
- Specify a default domain for instances provisioned to this Cloud.
- SCALE PRIORITY
- Only affects Docker Provisioning. Specifies the priority with which an instance will scale into the cloud. A lower priority number means this cloud integration will take scale precedence over other cloud integrations in the group.
- APPLIANCE URL
- Alternate Appliance url for scenarios when the default Appliance URL (configured in admin -> settings) is not reachable or resolvable for Instances provisioned in this cloud. The Appliance URL is used for Agent install and reporting.
- TIME ZONE
- Configures the time zone on provisioned VM’s if necessary.
- DATACENTER ID
- Used for differentiating pricing among multiple datacenters. Leave blank unless prices are properly configured.
- NETWORK MODE
- Unmanaged or Managed
- HOST FIREWALL
- On or Off. Enable to managed Host firewall/IP Table rules (linux only)
- SECURITY MODE
Defines if Morpheus will control local firewall of provisioned servers and hosts.
When local firewall management is enabled, Morpheus will automatically set an IP table rule to allow incoming connections on tcp port 22 from the Morpheus Appliance.
- SECURITY SERVER
- Select security off or Local Firewall
- TRUST PROVIDER
- Select Internal (Morpheus) or an existing Trust Provider Integration
- STORAGE MODE
- Single Disk, LVM or Clustered
- BACKUP PROVIDER
- Select Internal Backups (Morpheus) or a Backup Integration
- REPLICATION PROVIDER
- Sets the default Replication Provider for the Cloud. Select an existing Replication Provider Integration
- Enable Guidance recommendations on cloud resources.
- Enable for Morpheus to sync Costing data from the Cloud provider, when available. If your organization utilizes reserved instances and you want to pull in related pricing data, select Costing and Reservations. If this is not relevant, select Costing to save money on additional calls to the AWS Cost Explorer API or similar service for other clouds.
- DNS INTEGRATION
- Records for instances provisioned in this cloud will be added to selected DNS integration.
- SERVICE REGISTRY
- Services for instances provisioned in this cloud will be added to selected Service Registry integration.
- CONFIG MANAGEMENT
- Select a Chef, Salt, Ansible or Puppet integration to be used with this Cloud.
- Select CMDB Integration to automatically update selected CMDB.
- CHANGE MANAGEMENT
- Select an existing Change Management Integration to set on the Cloud. ex: Cherwell
- AGENT INSTALL MODE
- SSH / WINRM: Morpheus will use SSH or WINRM for Agent install.
- Cloud Init / Unattend (when available): Morpheus will utilize Cloud-Init or Cloudbase-Init for agent install when provisioning images with Cloud-Init/Cloudbase-Init installed. Morpheus will fall back on SSH or WINRM if cloud-init is not installed on the provisioned image. Morpheus will also add Agent installation to Windows unattend.xml data when performing Guest Customizaitons or utilizing syspreped images.
- API PROXY
- Required when a Proxy Server blocks communication between the Morpheus Appliance and the Cloud. Proxies can be added in the Infrastructure -> Networks -> Proxies tab.
- INSTALL AGENT
- Enable to have Agent Installation on by default for all provisioning into this Cloud. Disable for Agent Installation to be off by default for all provisioning into this Cloud.
- Required when a Proxy Server blocks communication between an Instance and the Morpheus Appliance. Proxies can be added in the Infrastructure -> Networks -> Proxies tab.
- Bypass Proxy for Appliance URL
- Enable to bypass proxy settings (if added) for Instance Agent communication to the Appliance URL.
- USER DATA (LINUX)
- Add cloud-init user data. Morpheus 4.1.0 and earlier assumes bash syntax. Morpheus 4.1.1 and later supports all User Data formats. Refer to https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/format.html for more information.
ESXi provisioning require a vmx file, which is not included in an OVF/OVA export from vCenter. A proper vmx file must be included when adding a vmdk/ovf/ova image to Virtual Images in Morpheus for successful provisioning.