The ESXi Cloud type enables managing and provisioning to ESXi hosts, even without the ESXi API enabled.
The VMware ESXi integration is for adding a single ESXi / vSphere Hypervisor host. If you have vCenter please use the VMWare vCenter cloud type for full vSphere integraiton features.
To get started with VMware ESXi, simply add a VMware ESXi Cloud in either the
Infrastructure -> Clouds or Infrastructure -> Groups section.
+ Create CloudButton
- Select ESXi from the Add Cloud modal
- Select NEXT
- Provide the following information.
- Cloud Name
- ESXi Host name or IP address
- Username ( This is normally root )
If you receive the message “Error! Invalid cloud config” Please ensure you have ssh enabled on the ESXi host.
- Specify a default domain for instances provisioned to this Cloud.
- SCALE PRIORITY
- Specifies the priority with which an instance will scale into the cloud. A lower priority number means this cloud integration will take scale precedence over other cloud integrations in the group.
- APPLIANCE URL
- Alternate Appliance url for scenarios when the default Appliance URL (configured in admin -> settings) is not reachable or resolvable for Instances provisioned in this cloud. The Appliance URL is used for Agent install and reporting.
- TIME ZONE
- Configures the time zone on provisioned VM’s if necessary.
- DATACENTER ID
- Used for differentiating pricing among multiple datacenters. Leave blank unless prices are properly configured.
- NETWORK MODE
- Unmanaged or Managed
- SECURITY MODE
Defines if Morpheus will control local firewall of provisioned servers and hosts.
When local firewall management is enabled, Morpheus will automatically set an IP table rule to allow incoming connections on tcp port 22 from the Morpheus Appliance.
- STORAGE MODE
- Single Disk, LVM or Clustered
- Enable Guidance recommendations on cloud resources.
- DNS INTEGRATION
- Records for instances provisioned in this cloud will be added to selected DNS integration.
- SERVICE REGISTRY
- Services for instances provisioned in this cloud will be added to selected Service Registry integration.
- CONFIG MANAGEMENT
- Select a Chef, Salt, Ansible or Puppet integration to be used with this Cloud.
- Select CMDB Integraiton to automatically update selected CMDB.
- AGENT INSTALL MODE
- SSH / WINRM: Morpheus will use SSH or WINRM for Agent install.
- Cloud-Init (when available): Morpheus will utilize Cloud-Init or Cloudbase-Init for agent install when provisioning images with Cloud-Init/Cloudbase-Init installed. Morpheus will fall back on SSH or WINRM if cloud-init is not installed on the provisioned image.
- API PROXY
- Required when a Proxy Server blocks communication between the Morpheus Appliance and the Cloud. Proxies can be added in the Infrastructure -> Networks -> Proxies tab.
- Required when a Proxy Server blocks communication between an Instance and the Morpheus Appliance. Proxies can be added in the Infrastructure -> Networks -> Proxies tab.
- Bypass Proxy for Appliance URL
- Enable to bypass proxy settings (if added) for Instance Agent communication to the Appliance URL.
- USER DATA (LINUX)
- Add cloud-init user data or scripts. Assumes bash syntax.
ESXi provisioning require a vmx file, which is not included in an OVF/OVA export from vCenter. A proper vmx file must be included when adding a vmdk/ovf/ova image to Virtual Images in Morpheus for successful provisioning.